Fashioned after the Robins & Lawrence, Hartford-made M-1859 Sharps, which were being used used by mounted Federal troops, these S. C. Robinson, Richmond-made firearms were quite serviceable and were much sought-after.
Among collectors there is a lot of speculation, with little documentation, as to the number of carbines that were manufactured.
It is felt that in 1862/1863 S.C. Robinson manufactured an estimated 1900 copies of the carbine for the Confederacy. In March 1863 the Confederate government purchased the Robinson factory and manufactured an estimated 3000 additional carbines.
The carbine generally resembles the Model 1859 Sharps Carbine but has some significant differences; (1) the barrel has a tapered iron front sight, (2) the rear sight is a fixed V-notch, (3) there is no provision for a pellet primer, (4) the lock plate has a low profile, (5) the sling bar is attached to an iron plate inletted into the left side of the stock and the edge of the receiver and (6) the stock does not have a patch box. The forearm has a brass barrel band.