Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Civil War Era Grosz Altered M-1841 Rifle

Image result for m 1841 musket




At the outbreak of the Civil War, the New York State legislature authorized the mustering in of 30,000 volunteers for the state militiaThe state had already set about updating their arsenal of weapons. One of their first steps was to issued a contract to Remington to upgrade 5000 of their existing, Remington made, M-1841 “Mississippi” rifles. This upgrade consisted of converting them from .54 to .58 caliber, replacing the ramrod with a one-piece one better suited for .58 caliber Minie balls as opposed to .54 round patched balls, and adding a bayonet lug of the 1855 type with no rails for the 1855 style saber bayonet made by Collins & Co. of Connecticut. (the M-1841 had no provision for fixing a bayonet)

Due to the inability of Collins & Co. to deliver enough bayonets, Remington had to end the contract early, after only having delivered 3,268 rifles so converted.

New York state then turned to a NYC gunsmith named F.H. Grosz to complete the contract. City directories listed a Frederick H. Grosz as smith and whitesmith located at 43-45 Greene Street.

This rifle is one of 1,600 Remington M-1841 Rifles altered by F.H. Grosz.

The Grosz alterations feature a turned down barrel muzzle with a small square bayonet stud added to the underside near the muzzle and a repositioned blade front sight behind the turn-down area. This alteration allows the barrel to accept the Model 1842 socket bayonet. The Grosz rifles retained the .54 caliber. All the rifles in the New York state contract with Grosz, were delivered by December 1861.

Some of these rifles are known to have been issued to Federal units and N.Y. 7th, 10th, 12th, and 192nd Regiments.